Saturday, October 18, 2008

Brief Stay at the Hospital

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I don't update more often :-( My computer has been on the fritz lately and I haven't been feeling the greatest either. About a week and a half ago I had low grade fevers that kept me in my bed. I didn't start feeling good until last Saturday. I ventured out to a fall festival my daughters school was having; I lasted about an hour and a half and came home and napped the rest of the day. LOL Since then I've been feeling better, just tired. I needed two blood transfusions when I got to the hospital for my Chemo stay, that would account for the tiredness :-) The Chemo is going well so far. My picline is a little irritated though. Please pray that it clears up so that they don't pull it again. Ugggh! I would hate to have another line put in. I only have one more round of Chemo in December. Yipee! The picline is important because its how I get the Chemo, but its also necessary if I get nutrapenic fevers and need to be hospitalized like I've been in the past. These next two rounds could be more difficult and all the more reason for me to have a line in. I will be nutrapenic by next weekend and it will not pass for about two weeks or so. Please pray that I make it through without fevers and needing to me hospitalized.

God is always teaching me something if I'm willing to listen. haha. I'm in a shared room and not the window side. The woman I'm sharing my room with is very sick with liver cancer. (Pray for her, she doesn't have a lot of treatment options from the sounds of it.) Okay, so my point was that when I first learned I was in a shared room, I wasn't happy. I can be a bit high maintenance. ( another humbling confession, LOL) I did not want to share a room or a bathroom. I wipe down the room and am crazy meticulous in my own room! How am I going to deal seeing someone else's specimens in the bathroom, etc....? I wanted out and then heard a small voice say to me that this will build character and I could minister to this woman. Of Course! I'm so selfish sometimes. I want to minister to who I want, when I want, and where I want. God calls us to join Him where He is at work. As I looked at how pathetic my thinking was I thought how would God be able to put me anywhere to minister if I have so many demands and special needs (comfort, ease, safety, cleanliness, etc..) Well, that's called stinkin thinkin. Anyway, its been a pleasure to share my room. I have tried to encourage this woman. I have shared my new diet with her husband, and I have prayed for her when I hear her suffering.

I don't want to miss out on anything God is trying to teach me. Leukemia has only been a catalyst for God to get at the real issues in my heart. Have you ever let God at the real issues in your heart???

Love, Edie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Edie,
Thanks for opening up your heart - thanks for letting God use You! It inspires me!
Father God make your presence known right there in Edie's room and minister to her and her roommate by the power of Your Holy Spirit. God it is no accident that she is there. Please help her feel your presence and see your finger prints every day. Amen!
Love,
Susan Hric

planetkathy said...

I think that I've had plenty of 'stinkin thinkin'! It's called self-serving,self-centered sin. I hope that I learn from these times and rise to the tasks before me as well as you are doing just now and encouraging me. God doesn't make mistakes.I will pray for your room-mate too as well as no high fevers. Praying for the portal for germs to be straight through to infinity and beyond.

Isaiah 41:10 'Fear not, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes,I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
love, Kathy

Pam said...

Oh, Edie, how I understand your desire for a private room. But, it is such an encouragement to hear how you are willing to be used by God when you would choose other circumstances. My prayers are with you every day. I will be praying that your roommate comes to Christ by your wonderful example. And, I will pray that your fevers stay away!!!!

Love ya,
Pam

Donna Lash said...

Hi Edie--- Everyone misses you at Planet and we pray for you every week. Keep running the race....we are with you in prayer! Love, DonnaL

Mom, Dad, Jill and Stephanie said...

THANK YOU EDIE!! YOUR LIGHT IS SHINING!!!

LORD, WE THANK YOU FOR COMFORTING AND PROVIDING EDIE WITH ENDURANCE TO GET THROUGH THESE TOUGH TIMES, AND ALLOWING HER TO COMMUNICATE YOUR LOVE TO SO MANY.

LORD WE LIFT UP EDIE AND HER FAMILY TO YOU. MAY YOU CONTINUE TO PROVIDE THE COMFORT THAT ONLY YOU CAN PROVIDE. IN JESUS NAME AMEN.

LOVE,

THE BOCEK FAMILY

Unknown said...

Hey!! Oh Edie, LOL, thoughts of you washing comfortors and wiping down the Carolina house bathrooms come to mind when hearing about your shared room. God has a way of calling us out of our own ways to comform us to His I guess. I can just perfectly picture your submissive "Um, okaaaayyy Lord, if that's what you really want". I'll be in touch soon. Sorry it's been so long. Love you. xoxo christine